Are you finishing school?
Are you finishing school?
Finishing year 12 and transitioning into the Adult world can be an extremely exciting yet daunting change.
To help you navigate the new transition, Designer Life NDIS team are here to help you build your capacity and learn the skills needed to prepare for work and find a job that's right for you.
Our supports are designed to give you the skills, knowledge and experience to pursue your goals after school – be it long-term paid employment, volunteering or tertiary education.
Designer Life School Leaver Support Program (SLES) will be tailored to each participant's needs. We encourage participants and their families to work with us in a co-design model.
What is SLES?
School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES) is a plan specific funding item for Year 12 school leavers that are current or eligible participants with the NDIS. SLES is a program designed to help teenagers aged 16 – 19 prepare for work and gain real-world experience before or just after graduating high school.
What does SLES involve?
If SLES funding has been approved in your plan, you will be eligible to receive support for a maximum of 2 years. These supports are varied and diverse, so long as they are focused on improving employment opportunities and work-readiness. Examples of SLES activities may include:
- Assistance finding work experience opportunities
- Training and education options
- Core Skills for Work development:
- Time Management
- Money Handling
- Taking Instructions
- Understanding workplace expectations
Designer Life SLES program staff are committed to providing young people opportunities to participate in a range of individualised training, work and life skill options that will help prepare them for their first job: You can expect to receive:
- An individualised action plan to set, meet and review each participant's individual goals
- Option to participate in Certificate level training delivered by our RTO service
- Vocational pre-employment training to meet work goals
- Group work placements with on-the-job support
- Individual work placement in interest area- with support*
- Work specific industry visits*
- Skill development and confidence building
- Travel training and driver education to help obtain a learners licence
- Individualised case management, mentoring, and ongoing support from Designer Life dedicated Employment Coaches
- Support to transition to Disability Employment Services
- Help to transition to employment, including on the job support
**NOTE: Due to the changing environment of COVID-19 restrictions, there will be service adjustments made to comply with government advice as it is implemented.
We can support you for up to 2 years and support your transition to Disability Employment Services to receive ongoing support.
Sign up for a free information session!
If you are unsure about what to do after high school, our SLES information sessions can be a great way to get started.
You will meet an NDIS Career Coach to discuss your questions, explore employment pathways, employability skills, SLES overview and our RTO services.
So if you're interested on starting your pathway to success after school, leave your details on our contact us page and one of our friendly staff will be in touch with you soon.